Sunday, August 29, 2010

Who Are You?

Who am I? What gives me authority to post my thoughts and judging opinions online?

I am a mid-level skating judge somewhere in Canada. I've judged for just a year, but been involved in various aspects of figure skating for almost 20 years. I started my own skating career as a little one in a learn to skate program and quickly progressed into the STARSkate program SkateCanada offers - the alternative to competitive skating, but equally competitive. I competed in singles and synchronized skating for as long as I can remember.  I retired from any sort of competition last year fully and decided to take up judging to stay involved with the sport.  I also have my Level 1 Coaching Certificate and coached skating from learn to skate to competitive for three years - I retired to keep up my own skating, start a family, and start a career in a very different world that didn't involve skating. 

I am in love with the "new system" in skating - I believe that CPC is the best thing to happen to figure skating in many, many years. Though it had it's growing pains and will always have its blips (as skating is subjective, there is always going to be debate), I believe that the majority of those involved in the skating world are satisfied to some degree with this system.

I feel that there is a lot of misconstrued ideas out there and that judges get a lot of flack. I believe in being an honest judge at all times, but realize that mistakes will always be made. I want to share my knowledge with you as I grow as a judge. I'm not sure what direction this website will take, but feel free to guide me and grow with me.

1 comment:

Ice Mom said...

Welcome to the skating conversation! I can't wait to read what you have to say!

Ice Mom